Friday, June 5, 2015

Dating the sick girl really must suck

So as mentioned earlier I have a very wonderful and supporting boyfriend. He understands how crappy (pun intended) have colitis can be. Usually it doesn't cause any problems. Sometimes my stomach really hurts and I'm not up for hanging out, but I usually manage me symptoms.

So what's the biggest, and pretty much only problem, with going out on dates? My damn food restrictions. Imagine a life without gluten, dairy, and red meat? Yes I can eat very small amounts of these foods, but I pay dearly for it.

The biggest challenge is finding a restaurant that I can eat at, that I like, and that he likes. Take out food also delivers problems too (another horrible pun, I'm sorry). Have you guys ever eaten gluten free food? If not I really don't recommend it and if so, I'm so sorry that you had to have eaten that stuff. 

Don't get me wrong, rice is pretty good. So are veggies and stuff. But a lot of good food has gluten, and waaaaay too many sauces do. You know how gross sauce-less chicken wings are? Or gluten free pizza without sauce and cheese is? Gluten free spongy burger buns? Yeah, no thanks.

It also sucks trying to go to places that my boyfriend and his friends love. The guys all love this place called Burger Barn, and I'll give it to them, the burgers are great. Except now I can't eat burgers. And they don't have any salads I can eat there, so they improvise. The salads aren't bad either, I'm not knocking the place. It's just called Burger Barn, not Salad Saloon (kudos to Will for that lovely joke).

So anyways, it's pretty hard even finding a place to eat at. Some places do gluten free, like Kelsey's and Boston Pizza. Those are good places to eat at, and Kelsey's pesto pasta is the best gluten free dish I've eaten at all, but only eating a few dishes over and over again gets really boring. Kelsey's does have a lot of other options, but the whole dairy and red meat free takes those away from me.

There are other places that do gluten free, like my favourite burrito place Burrito Boyz. I ate there before I was gluten free and gladly switched to their gluten free options, and the prices are pretty cheap. It just really sucks because pretty much that's our go-to place to eat. 

So anyways, once a place is found then comes the lovely part of paying the bill. You know how expensive gluten free specialty items are? Holy crap, I should be getting freakin' lobster for that price.

Sometimes I do cheat on my diet, but it's not worth it anymore. My body is finally used to avoiding my trigger foods and then bam, I decide to eat a normal pizza. That pretty much puts an end to date night early and even takes me down for the next day or two. Nothing more romantic than horrible stomach pains, gas, nausea, and bloody waste.

Even something as simple as going to the movies presents a problem. First of all, I'm supposed to be caffeine free (my Starbucks and Monster cravings really kill me) so picking a pop to drink is hard. I meant I always hated Coke and Pepsi so that's not too bad. Canada Dry, Crush, and Mug are caffeine free so that's not too bad as long as the place carries those drinks. But popcorn? Butter makes me sick, the fake butter makes me feel like I'll puke, and overly salted popcorn will make me feel sick the next day. Oh yeah, did I mention heavily salted foods will make me sick? Bye bye potato chips and salted nuts. Not worth the nausea. Like wtf body? I just want to eat junk food that isn't soy milk ice cream. 

It's okay though, I'll eat Skittles. Gluten free and trigger food free. And the Tropical Skittles are amazing. None of my friends agree with me so I don't have to share.

Also, Maynard's candy is trigger food free, but I worked at a candy factory that handled their brand. I've seen enough candy to last me a lifetime. I swear I gained weight just by smelling the candy. Want to stop eating your favourite junk foods? Work at the factory that produces them. You won't want to eat the junk food ever again.

Anyways, once we're on a date it's perfectly romantic. After all those stupid troubles I'm a normal teenage girl on a date. No worries, I won't get sick on the date as long as I don't cheat on my diet. I even offer to pay for my half of the meal, not that my boyfriend lets me unless it's my turn to pay (every other date I pay, I'm not the type of girl that expects my boyfriend to pay for every date).

The best part about the date? I won't get you sick since colitis isn't contagious. 

No comments:

Post a Comment